The Ronald McDonald House of Durham operates a 'home away from home' with 55 bedrooms and suites for critically-ill children and their families.
Our House, located just minutes away from Duke Hospital in Durham, offers families the comforts of home – a fully-stocked kitchen, inviting dining area, computers and wireless internet access, laundry facilities, a chapel, learning center, playroom and library. Our housing program also offers additional services to relieve stress and provide emotional support to families, including:
- Daily Meal Program provided by groups and individual volunteers
- Tutor Program provided in conjunction with Duke Hospital School to ensure children receiving treatment do not fall behind in their school work
- Activities Program includes weekly Bingo games, arts and crafts nights, outings to local events such as Carolina Hurricanes, Duke Basketball and Durham Bulls games, theatre productions, museum exhibits, etc.
- Pet Therapy Program with certified and trained therapy animals and their volunteer handlers
- Special activities and meals around holidays
Resident families say that the emotional support from other families in similar situations is one of the most appreciated gifts of the House and Family Rooms.
For more information about staying at the House click on "Staying Here" on the top left hand side of the page.